Friday, December 15, 2006

cell phone


So, I've had my new cell phone for 2 weeks. (yes, that is a picture of what my phone looks like! Isn't it cute?!) Tuesday was a busy day. After working from 7 am until 3:15 pm, I ran home to change into a skirt to go over to school to practice with Hannah, my accompanist, because we haven't been able to practice together very much. Then, I had my voice platform. Don't worry...this has a point!

So, I remembered turning my cell phone to "silent" so that it wouldn't be making noise as I was doing my platform. After I had finished my platform, I went to the library to return some things before Christmas break and pick up Beckah's keys so I could make copies of them so I could move into the apartment over break. Then, I went to Walmart to get the keys copied, stopped at Culver's to eat something (and talked to Noah briefly while I was there), went back to the library to return the keys, and back to my car to leave. As I was driving back, I remembered that I had turned my phone to silent and was going to turn the ringer back on, but, alas, my phone was no longer in my purse!

I checked all of my pockets (the only other pockets I had were in my coat) and could not find my phone there. So, I decided to check everywhere I had been. I first stopped at Culver's (since I was driving by there, anyways). Noone had seen a cell phone. I drove back to school and stopped by Burkart Hall....it wasn't there. I checked the Welcome Center....they didn't know anything (surprise ;D). I checked the library...noone had turned in a cell phone there. Jen (my other future roommate) was working at the library, so she let me call Walmart...my phone wasn't there. I checked my backpack; it wasn't there. I decided to try to find "the dorm sup on duty," since they could get into the dean's office, where cell phones are normally turned in when found without an owner. Libby was substituting for the dorm sups, who were, to my dismay, in the faculty/staff Christmas party and wouldn't be out for hours, and Libby didn't have a key to get into the dean's office to check. I decided to look in my car. Keep in mind that it was about 8:30 pm by this time. The sun had gone down several hours before, and the parking lots have only a few dim lights. I checked to see if my phone had fallen out of my purse and next to the seat. Since it was very dark, I got my flashlight out and turned it on. Well, I tried, at least. It would turn on for a few seconds after I shaked it for a few seconds, but it would only stay on for a few seconds, and the light was dim, at best. Well, I was getting very tired, and I didn't think that my phone would be in my car, so I gave up.

Fast forward to Wednesday night. James and Nikki both tried to call my cell phone; James on the way to church, and Nikki while we were at church. James got a busy signal...only because he called my OLD cell phone number, which was cancelled a couple of weeks ago. Then, once he tried to call the RIGHT number, he got just my voice mail. Then, Nikki tried, and she said that it sounded like someone answered then hung up. She tried again and just got my voicemail. But, that had me worried...what if someone got my phone and was raking up a huge bill? I decided to suspend my phone service until I found my phone again. So, I called Alltel, but noone was in the office at that time: "Please call back tomorrow." Nice. So, at work on Thursday, I called them and suspended my phone service. I called my dad to let him know. After work, I decided to check my car a little more thoroughly, since there is more light at 3 pm than there is at 8:30 pm. What do you think I found between the center armrest and the passenger seat? You guessed it! My cell phone! It was pretty far down there, so it was a little difficult for me to find, even in daylight, but it was there! I'm guessing that it fell out of my purse when I went to go to Walmart; my purse doesn't close at the top other than a strap that is about 2 inches across that snaps onto the other side. It could have very easily fallen out. I called my dad back to let him know (he is the only one who can re-activate the phone since we're on a family plan under his name). About an hour later, I heard my phone ring! My dad had been able to re-activate my phone!

So, until this time, I didn't realize how important my cell phone is. No, my phone isn't attatched to my ear, like some people and their phones. And no, I don't HAVE to have my phone with me all the time. But, it is a good tool to have, and it can get very expensive if it gets into the wrong hands. This time, I was safe. But I think I'll be getting a new purse!

No comments: